Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sleepovers Prohibited

30 September 
            Seentahna and I have had our first disagreement. She wanted to invite a guest over for a sleepover, but I told her no because I haven’t met the guest’s parents.
            She invited them anyway.
            Or at least I’m assuming she did because I woke up at 2 AM today with the guest scampering over my legs.
            Needless to say I was not pleased. I very firmly told Seentahna, “No more sleepovers!” Hopefully she’ll listen this time.
            It is now 4 AM and I can’t sleep. Which doesn’t make sense, with or without jet lag. But it’s been like this since I arrived in Bere. I think the latest I’ve managed to sleep in was 5, maybe 5:30 on the first day I got here. I’ve kinda given up trying to sleep any later, once I wake up the first time, sleep is over for me. There is no such thing as rolling over and drifting into unconscious bliss. So I spend my time before everyone wakes up reading, praying, planning, and writing.
            My family here has six kids ages 3-14. Bria is the oldest, she’s very sweet and functions like a second mother to the rest of her family. She’s also been fighting malaria since I got here, I hope she feels better soon. John is 11, he speaks some English, French, and Nangere, helps translate for Sabbath School, loves to sing, and plays the drums. James is also 11, he is an orphan that lives with us. He’s quiet and his eyes are sad. Agariat I believe is 9. As the second oldest girl she’s been picking up a lot of the work with Bria not feeling well. An amazing hostess, she often anticipates what I need and will immediately jump up to get it for me. Abriat is 7. She is so eager to be near me and is not shy. Then there is Batama, the baby of the family. He is so adorable. He has big eyes and long curly eyelashes. A typical 3 year old, he loves to play, and get cuddles. He’s also a little bit whiny sometimes. :) 
            My mamma is Sedonnie. She’s very sweet and eager to get to know me. She disappears during the day though, I don’t really know where she goes. I’ve only seen papa a couple of times. I think he must leave to work early on his moto, and doesn’t get back until late. Or maybe it’s because he went to Lai, a village a few kilometers away.
            My house is really not all that different from a house in America, except that it’s all open air, except for the bedrooms and the kitchen, and there is an open well in the middle of the living area. I have my own room. Danae told me that Bria gave up her room so that they could host SMs, which makes me feel bad. All of the kids except for Batama sleep in the room next to me. I feel a little bit selfish, but I also know I’m very grateful for my own space.
            The other missionaries on the compound are all very nice. But they keep making reference to how hard it is to be out here. I must admit, it’s a little daunting to have so many people saying that it’s difficult when they live on the mission compound where there is running water and electricity. I think they may be referring more to the emotional difficulty which is something I haven’t really experienced yet.
            Now is time for random footnotes directed at specific people.
            Alaric – I promise I wrote you a letter, but to mail it I have to get it to Kelo, which, with current road conditions, is about an hour away.
            Ashley – You should come and visit me. I miss you. And you could help me garden and landscape and do construction work and play with kids in the dirt and keep me sane… Yeah. It’d be fun.
            Anyway, I love you all! Keep us all in your prayers. It is true, it is hard here, but I think it will be worth it too.

            Oh, and someone want to send me an anteater? And a pet cat that specializes in cockroach elimination and leaves the chickens and lizards alone? And some chocolate? J

1 comment:

  1. My dear Miki.....

    I've laughed with your fish story and...I want pictures of the house! I wonder if it's like my grandmother's house in Venezuela that was open except for the bedrooms.

    I miss you and am praying for you...

    ReplyDelete