Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Crunch & Munch of WHAT?

28 September
Last night I sat down to enjoy my first evening meal with my Tchadian family. They were serving beans and rice. Or so I thought. There was a rainstorm in progress so we were inside enjoying our meal on the dark due to the absence of electricity. It as quite delicious actually.
So here I'm sitting chewing away, yummy yum, yummy yu...crunch?
Wait what? Cooked rice isn't supposed I be crunchy.
Must've been a rock....
Pretty soon, another crunch, but more like a stick snapping. I'm really confused. Is it normal to have this many rocks and sticks in your beans? I'm not all that partial to the thought of eating them, I'm not lacking uin roughage. I dig them out of my mouth.
Before taking my next bite I examined food. There's another stick. I pull it out. Season nie notices and holds out her hand. I give her he troublesome stick.
"Ah, poisson." She says. That would be helpful, if I knew French.
"It's fish." Brian translates.
Oh joy.
I did say I was vegetarian, but I also said I was willing to try fish. And now, I've tried it. I will admit it was pretty tasty. But I cannot handle the munching of a poor fishy a bones. I lost my appetite.
I wish they would've jut let me think it was sticks and rocks! I would've never known he difference...at least until the bite that felt like it was the whole skeleton in my mouth. I almost gagged on hat one.
I think it will be easier to stay vegetarian completely.
"No poisson. Vegetarian." I tell Sedonnie. She laughs at me.
I will never forget the  French word for fish. Poisson. Poison? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment