Thursday, November 20, 2014

Books for Bere

“Miki, when you leave, give me this book.”
            Somewhat surprised by the demand, I glance at John. “I’m sorry,” I say, “but this book isn’t mine. It belongs to Danae. She is just letting me borrow it.”
            “Oh, ok.” John looks a little abashed.
            I wish I could give him the book. It’s a French Bible Story book that I’ve been reading at nights to practice my French skills with. I never dreamed that the kids would want to have it for themselves. I guess it’s because I haven’t seen many books around, and just assumed that they would have them if they wanted to read.
            But of course, that’s not the case. They don’t have the money to buy books. As I head to bed I start remembering their reactions whenever there are any books or magazines around. That book, regardless of the language it is written in, will make its way through the hands of every single member of the family during the next few days including three-year old Batama, and eight-year old Laba who doesn’t attend school. These kids are hungry for books, they are eager to learn.
            As I lay in bed, I can’t help but think of the way books have impacted my own life. Growing up I read mission stories. People like Mary Slessor and George Mueller inspired me to place my life in God’s hands and let Him use me where He wills. More recently the book African Rice Heart by Emily Wilkens, played a huge role in my decision to come to Chad, Africa as a student missionary. I can’t deny that the books I have read have influenced and shaped my dreams and goals.
            I remember helping one of my cousins who was struggling with learning to read. She kept asking me why she even needed to read, she didn’t think it was important. I told her over and over again, “Lydia, if you can only learn to read, you can teach yourself anything else you could ever want to learn.” I still believe that this is true, but here in Chad the challenge is finding those books to read.
            It is because of my belief that books are vital to understanding the world around us that I have decided to open a library at the Adventist school here in Bere. It is my hope that by giving the children access to books they will begin to dream and educate themselves and grow up willing to fight for their dreams, whatever they may be. Perhaps they will find in the books an example of what it means to go against the grain to make their world a better place. Perhaps they will be inspired to put effort towards changing their circumstances.
            But I need help. There is already a shipping container on the school grounds which I have received permission to convert into a library. But it needs windows, bookshelves, paint, and, of course, books. Several of the other missionaries have already informed me of the near impossibility of finding any books that are in French in the States. So, if you are in America and reading this, I would also appreciate it if you prayerfully consider making donations of money to help make the required alterations to the container. If you have connections with people who have access to books in French, please share this blog with them.
            And above all, please pray. I am excited about this project and I have already seen God’s hand working in it. But there is still much to be done and I would appreciate it if you would remember our project in your daily prayers. Share it with your friends and family, I know God will hear us.

            If you have any questions please contact me at Mikayla.Baird@wallawalla.edu. Thanks so much! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment