Sunday, February 1, 2015

Downward Slope

            I’m a little over halfway through my time here. As Kim would put it, “You’re on the downward slope now.” And maybe because I am, I should be focusing solely on what I’m doing here. But I’m not. I’m constantly catching myself dreaming about going home. About wrapping my Daddy and Mommy up in ginormous bear hugs. About scooping up Christian & Zoe and being able to tell them in person that I love them SOOOOO much! About meeting my new niece for the first time and telling her who I am.
            Yes, I’m counting down the days until I get back home.
            I’ve actually been counting them down since I first got here.
            I know I’m in Africa, I should be thrilled. And I am.
            But I miss my people, so shoot me.
            Besides, it’s possible to thoroughly enjoy being in one place even if you are longing for another, isn’t it? At least it seems to be possible for me…maybe I’m just strange. But isn’t that the type of relationship we’re supposed to have with the world as Christians? We can be living on this world and have happiness and be enjoying ourselves, but we’re also supposed to be yearning to go Home to be with God.
            I think God yearns for us to come Home too. I think he daydreams about bringing us home. About wrapping us up in His strong arms. About being able to communicate with us face to face like He did with Adam and Eve. About letting us see Him in person for the first time and helping us understand everything about who He is.
            Yes, He is counting down the days until He can bring us home.
            He’s actually been counting them down since Adam and Eve first sinned.
            I know He is in Heaven where everything should be perfect.

            But He misses His people, so it’s not. 

1 comment: